Born in 1962, Kevin Laycock lives and paints in Leeds. Since studying at the Royal College of Art (MA), Laycock has exhibited widely throughout the UK, mainly through Art First. He has been a Lecturer in Art and Design History and Practice at the University of Leeds since 2001. He has also taught at the Chelsea School of Art and Design, the Glasgow School of Art and Loughborough University.
Laycock was for many years concerned with the inter-relationship between art and music. This interest culminated in Collision, a cross-disciplinary collaboration with composer Michael Berkeley CBE, which launched at Gallery Oldham and the Leeds Fuse Festival, and then toured to a number of venues in England and Ireland throughout 2009-13. Collision was the practice based element of Laycock’s doctoral research into The translation and interpretation of the structural elements of Michael Berkeley's musical compositions through painting and digital media (University of Leeds), which was completed in 2012.
Chaos and Roses, conceived in 2015, is Laycock’s first new collection of work since Collision. The geometric abstraction of the paint surfaces represents a deliberate move away from his earlier, more intuitive and expressionist work.
· 2013 Love Stories: The Art of Romance, Passion & Heartbreak, ISBN: 9781874516194
· 2010 Collision, ISBN: 0-9550385-8-8
· 2007 Uncertain Harmonies No 10, The Colourist, cover feature, Autumn issue
· 2007 Uncertain Harmonies, ISBN: 1-901993-53-1
· 2005 Tectonics, ISBN: 0-904490335
· 2002 Controlled Chaos, ISBN: 0-9518476-5-1
· 1994 Time Death and Judgement, Victorian Painting from the Kirklees
Collection, Huddersfield Art Gallery
· 1994 Be Original or Die, Photographic works by Madame Yevonde, exhibition text for Huddersfield Art Gallery
Papers in Journals
· 2015 Painting Colour Scales and Cadences, Journal of the International Colour Association, ISNN: ?
· 2013 Visual interpretations of the score in painting and digital media, Journal of the International Colour Association, ISNN: 2227-1309
· 2009 Tectonics, Journal of the International Colour Association, ISSN: 1753 7223
· 2007 Uncertain Harmonies, Journal of the International Colour Association, ISSN: 1753 7223
· 2007 Colour Harmony, Stephen Westland, Kevin Laycock, Vien Cheung, Phillip Henry and Forough Mahyar, Journal of the International Colour Association, ISNN: 1753 7223
· 2011 Hiraeth: Designing a Welsh Identity, Christopher Harris on-line gallery, Colour: Design and Creativity, Issue 6, ISSN: 1753 7223
· 2008 Essential Spirit by Jennifer Durrant on-line gallery, Colour: Design and Creativity and Society of Dyers and Colourists, Issue 2, ISSN: 1753 7223
· 2008 Colouring Jousissance by Judith Cain (commentary by Jenny Tennant Jackson), on-line gallery, Colour: Design and Creativity and Society of Dyers and Colourists, Issue 2, ISSN: 1753 7223
· 1994 Be Original or Die, Photographic works by Madame Yevonde, Huddersfield Art Gallery
· 1994 Time Death and Judgement, Victorian Painting from the Kirklees Collection, Huddersfield Art Gallery
· 2013 Love Stories: The Art of Romance, Passion & Heartbreak, Atkinson Galleries, Southport, Merseyside
· 1997 Robert Maciejuk, Huddersfield Art Gallery
· 1996 Sound Pictures, art and music collaboration for the Orchestra of St. John, Smiths Square, London and Huddersfield Art Gallery
Lectures and other Public Events
· 2012 Collision, Wolfson College, University of Oxford, Michael Berkeley, Anthony Gritten and Mark Rowen-Hull,
· 2011 Collision, Leeds City Art Gallery, Michael Berkeley, Anthony Gritten and Kevin Laycock
· 2009 Fuseleeds09, Melt, Round Table Event: Collaboration
· 2005 Tectonics: Art/Music Synergies, Ferens Lecture Series, Hull University, Department of History of Art
· 2000 Decoration and Craft in Contemporary British Painting, Contextual Studies Lecture Series, Loughborough University